I love the fountain, but this plastic reservoir is unfortunately a little brittle, and I've had to replace it twice now in approx 3 years. Just setting the reservoir in the sink under the tap, I heard it crack somewhere along the seam. I tried to find the crack and fill it with glue but air is still somehow getting in and therefore the reservoir cannot hold water. I'm ordering another reservoir now, I still like the fountain, but be very careful with the reservoir.
I too just noticed mold, or according to Pet Safe, Algae. My water dish is in the shade all day and nght. Not exposed to direct sunlight at all. I did the vinegar swish but still could not get it out of the side crevace. I guess I will have to purchase a new replacement water resevoir. Too bad, too, because other than that, this product has been flawless!
Thanks for taking the time to review the Drinkwell Platinum® Fountain Reservoir, Wendi! We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble keeping the reservoir clean. Please be sure to soak all parts in a 50/50 mix of hot water and vinegar every 1-2 weeks and be sure to keep the fountain away from sunlight to reduce troubles such as you are experiencing. It may also help to use a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda as a paste in conjunction with the Drinkwell® Fountain Cleaning Kit brushes which can be seen here:
After a year and two months of usage, this fountain started to have green mold in the corners and crevices in the clear plastic container. What is the coincidence that this started to happen right after the warranty ended? I really liked the detachable debris filter and it never once overflowed. However, it's tedious to clean and nearly impossible to get rid of all the mold with the brushes they recommend. Most of the mold accumulated at the base of the container and have caused cleaning so difficult that I decided it was better to change the fountain altogether. I'm disappointed in this product as my cats did enjoy using it but the way it was created makes it too difficult to clean and dangerous for the cats to drink out of again.
Thank you for sharing your experience, Lee! I am sorry to hear of the difficulty that you have experienced with the Drinkwell Platinum® Fountain Reservoir and can understand how this would be concerning. What you are seeing is likely algae build-up rather than mold. Algae naturally forms in water over time, especially when it is kept in direct sunlight. If you notice it beginning to build up, taking it out of direct sunlight should slow the algae growing process substantially. Please also try giving the reservoir a good soak in a 50/50 mix of hot water and vinegar. If you continue to have difficulty, please give us a call at 1-800-732-2677 for troubleshooting and assistance.